Well hello there.
I don’t have any new followers so here’s an unsolicited-likely no one cares- “what you will find here” type post.
I’ve been thinking so hard these past few, well, years about social media and what it means to try to be a whatever I’m trying to be on here and in order to have some sort of success it seems an account needs to have one or two or all of the following:
Also before we start let me insert a “no judgement” disclaimer to any who run their accounts using the following techniques because actually those accounts are smart and business savvy and successful and probably producing an income and I am none of the above so yea.
Back to what large following accounts seem to have in common based solely on my observations:
- Controversial posts asking controversial questions in order to get engagement.
- Ridiculous posts that make you go “whhhhhhhhy would someone do this” and the answer is to get shares.
- Opinionated posts to provoke an anti-opinion from followers and thereby increase visibility in the algorithms.
- Undergo large scale home renovations and post all the updates because if we are not envious of all the things they can do that we can’t why are we even following them.
- Experience fancy schmancy vacations and share all the moments via stories because again if your jealousy isn’t seething then how are they gonna keep us buying what they are selling.
- Have that elusive wow factor that just draws people in. I mean I don’t even know what the wow factor is I just know that I don’t have it.
- Tell people what they are doing wrong and why they need said account in order to do it right.
- Tell people that the way to be able to afford home renovations and fancy vacations and extravagant lifestyles is to buy what they are selling in the form of a business or course of some kind.
I know what you are thinking. I’m jealous because they have it and I don’t and I’m here to say that that’s only about 67% accurate.
You see, all of the above is meant to keep our noses buried in our phones and our debit cards in our hands and our yearnings close and our actual experiences far.
And that friends is why this account is small and intimate. No I’m not saying that I’m better than the other accounts or that I’m a diamond in the rough or that I can give you something the other accounts can’t.
I’m just saying I don’t want to play the game.
Honestly, I’ve dabbled in the game. I’ve tried to squeeze my way off the bench and onto the field but y’all, I suck at this game.
I’m not interested in jumping on the trendiest news topics unless they are human rights related because I just think that equality is worth my voice and I’m not interested in sharing what my family does or where we go because honestly I am more focused on living in the moments with them than trying to invoke a sense of FOMO behind a screen to keep y’all coming back for more.
I don’t want you to buy anything from me except my writing because I’m hypocritical like that.
Truthfully, what I hope you find here is a reminder that this space doesn’t deserve all your attention or all your efforts and you certainly won’t feel rested or connected by trying to keep up with the Social Media’s.
By all means budget time to scroll your feeds if you enjoy it and budget money to support your favorite influencers if it fills you up but my page is just a friendly reminder that you don’t actually need what anyone is selling and if we keep our heads buried in our screens then we are missing out on life and my only point here is to tell you that you don’t need to be on here.
You aren’t falling behind in life.
You aren’t missing out on any news.
Enjoy the silence.
Enjoy the nothing.
Enjoy the space between what has to be done and what can wait.
Everything else on these platforms is an illusion to keep you chasing after things that will never fill you up.
You’ll find your real joy in your real life.
Go live it friends and come back here if you forget but I hope you’ll only stay long enough to remember.